Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development
School of Psychology, Birkbeck, University of London
The Henry Wellcome Building, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX
Tel: (+44) 20 7631 6258 • Fax: (+44) 20 7631 6323
For general enquiries contact: email@example.com
For technical enquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our standard fee provides one set of infant fNIRS headgear.
- The size and design of the headgear is flexible and is adjusted to each individual user.
- We have over ten years’ worth of experience running fNIRS studies in infants (0-14 months of age) and have recently begun optimizing the headgear for children of 2-3 years of age.
- We can provide advice about the most reliable cortical regions of measurement and the most appropriate headgear design for your research specialty.
- Each piece of headgear comes with a spare set of components
- Additional headgear can be provided at a supplementary cost
We have written a review article on fNIRS infant research, which provides an overview of the advantages and disadvantages of different headgear designs.
Our expertise in fNIRS infant research is reflected by the number of publications that the CBCD has produced (see below) and is testament to the long-standing collaboration between CBCD, Birkbeck and the Department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, UCL.
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Széplaki-Köllőd, B., Yin, J. & Csibra, G. (in press) Are you talking to me? Neural activations in 6-month-old infants in response to being addressed during natural interactions. Cortex.
- Begus, K., Lloyd-Fox, S., Halliday, D., Papademetriou, M., Darboe, M.K., Prentice, A.M., Moore, S.E. & Elwell, C.E. (in press) Using fNIRS to study working memory of infants in rural Africa. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology.
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Wu, R., Richards, J.E., Elwell, C.E. & Johnson, M.H. (2015) Cortical Activation to Action Perception is associated with action production abilities in young infants. Cerebral Cortex, 25(2), 289-297.
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Richards, J.E., Blasi, A., Murphy, D.G.M., Elwell, C.E. & Johnson, M.H. (2014) Co-registering fNIRS with underlying cortical areas in infants. Neurophotonics. 1(2), 025006.
- Lloyd-Fox, S.*, Blasi, A., Elwell, C.E. & Johnson, M.H. (2014) Test-retest reliability of fNIRS in infants. Neurophotonics. 1(2), 025005. (* Lloyd-Fox and Blasi are joint first authors.)
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Papademetriou, M., Darboe, M.K., Everdell, N.L., Wegmuller, R., Prentice, A.M., Moore, S.E. & Elwell, C.E. (2014) Functional near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) to assess cognitive function in infants in rural Africa. Nature Scientific Reports 4, 4740.
- Fillippetti, M.L., Johnson, M.H., Lloyd-Fox, S., Dragovic, D. & Farroni, T. (2013) Body perception in newborns. Current Biology, 23, 2413-2416.
- Grossmann, T., Lloyd-Fox, S. & Johnson, M.H. (2013) Brain responses reveal young infants’ sensitivity to when a social partner follows their gaze. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 6, 155-161.
- Farroni, T., Chiarelli, A., Lloyd-Fox, S., Massaccesi, S., Merla, A., Gangi, V., Mattarello, T., Faranguna, D. & Johnson, M.H. (2013) Infant cortex responds to other humans from shortly after birth. Nature Scientific Reviews. 3, 2851.
- Southgate, V., Begus, K., Lloyd-Fox, S. & Hamilton, A. (2014) Goal representation in the infant brain. NeuroImage, 85, 294-301.
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi., A., Elwell, C.E., Charman, T., Murphy, D., & Johnson, M.H. (2013) Reduced neural sensitivity to social stimuli in infants at-risk for autism. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. 280, 20123026.
- Cristia, A., Dupoux, E., Hakuna, Y., Lloyd-Fox, S., Schuetze, M., Kivits, J., Bergvelt, T., van Gelder, M., Filippin, M., Charron, S., and Minagawa-Kawai, Y. (2012). An online database of infant functional Near InfraRed Spectroscopy studies: A community-augmented systematic review. PLoS One, 8, e58906.
- Papademetriou, M.D., Richards, J., Correia, T., Blasi, A., Murphy, D.G., Lloyd-Fox, S., Johnson, M. & Elwell, C.E. (2012) Cortical Mapping of 3D Optical Topography in Infants. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 985.
- Correia, T., Lloyd-Fox, S., Everdell, N., Blasi, A., Elwell, C.E., Hebden, J. & Gibson, A. (2012) Three-dimensional optical topography of brain activity in infants watching videos of human movement. Physics in Medicine & Biology. 57, 1135
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi, A., Mercure, E., Elwell, C.E. & Johnson, M.H. (2012) The emergence of cerebral specialisation for the human voice over the first months of life. Social Neuroscience, 7, 317-330. doi: 10.1080/17470919.2011.6146
- 16. Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi, A., Everdell, N., Elwell, C.E., & Johnson, M.H. (2011) Selective cortical mapping of biological motion processing in young infants. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 23, 2521-2532. doi: 10.1162/jocn.2010.21598.
- Gervain, J., Mehler, J., Werker, J.F., Nelson, C.A., Csibra, G., Lloyd-Fox, S., Shukla, M. & Aslin, R.A. (2011) Near infrared spectroscopy: A report from the McDonnell Infant Methodology Consortium. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. 1, 22-46. doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2010.07.00
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi, A. & Elwell, C.E. (2010) Illuminating the developing brain: The past, present and future of functional near infrared spectroscopy. Neuroscience and Biobehavioural Reviews, 34(3), 269-284.
- Blasi, A., Phillips, D., Lloyd-Fox, S., Hui-Koh, P. & Elwell, C.E. (2010) Automatic detection of motion artifacts in infant functional optical topography studies, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 662, 279-284.
- Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi, A., Volein, A., Everdell, N., Elwell, C.E. & Johnson, M.H. (2009) Social Perception in Infancy: A near infrared spectroscopy study. Child Development, 80, 986-999.
- Grossman, T., Johnson, M.H., Lloyd-Fox, S., Blasi, A., Deligianni, F., Elwell, C. & Csibra, G. (2008) Early cortical specialization for face-to-face communication in human infants. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 275, 2803-2811.
- Blasi, A., Lloyd-Fox, S., Everdell, N., Volein, A., Tucker, L., Csibra, G., Gibson, A., Hebden, J., Johnson, M.H. & Elwell, C. (2007) Investigation of depth dependent changes in cerebral haemodynamics during face perception in infants, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 52, 6849-6864.